Friday 13 November 2009

Editions of you

I went to see Roxy Music play live in 1979 at the Gaumont in Southampton and have been a fan ever since. It was a concert I mainly went to because my friend Nigel had a spare ticket, but they were brilliant that night.

I have all the albums and all of Bryan Ferrys solo stuff as well. Earlier this week I stumbled upon three remix EP's on the Amazon MP3 store (they're also on iTunes). Each EP takes classic Roxy songs and as is the way with a re-mix album, presents them for a new audience. "Virginia Plain" and "Same Old Scene" are the best, sounding like they might have had they been written and recorded today on modern equipment. "Editions of you" rocks but is more of a re-mix. "Angel Eyes" (which gets two different remixes) and "The Main Thing" have been remixed before when 12" remixes were released at the time of the original albums. The new remixes do add to those but don't sound that different. "Finally "the Thrill of it all" is a complete re-working of the original.

Some Roxy fans will hate them as they do mess with classic songs, but to me it is good to hear a re-take on these tracks. After all there is meant to be new Roxy album somewhere in the future.

No comments:

Beautiful country

 David Batt (no relation to Mike!) is better known as the artist David Sylvian. I use that description deliberately as besides being a singe...