Thursday 23 August 2007

See, I could be good at this......

Well after yesterdays near miss, today we finally played golf. We being Matt, Will and me, so better really, as all three of us got to hack our way around Ampfield Golf Club.

It nearly didn't happen (again!) as firstly when we turned up at 2pm, a very helpful lady advised us that there was a competition on and therefore we should "come back in an hour and a half or so", but we should then "have the course to ourselves". Then, having visited my parents for a cup of tea, when we returned, the boys spotted the " no jeans or track suits" sign just above the "golf shoes to be worn at all times" sign. Yes you guessed, jeans (Matt), track suit trousers (Will) and no golf shoes (full house). I therefore enquired of a man, outside the club house, how rigidly they enforced the rules? Well you should be OK he said but next time you should comply, before adding "if you get a problem tell them the club captain said it was OK!"

So I paid up (£30!) and we set off. The first few holes were challenging mainly as I tried to explain, while coaching, golfing etiquette. The main issue being getting the boys to co-ordinate making shots, flag removal and return, club selection and golf bag retrieval from the last green! To be fair though as they had never played before, they picked it all up pretty quickly, to the extent that by the turn I was able to card a par! All three of us played some rubbish shots, some OK shots and then that most frustrating of shots the "exactly as I intended" one which makes you think "I could be good at this, with a bit more practice!"

The whole thing took 2 hours and we are all keen to play again Who won? Well modesty forbids......

1 comment:

IGMS said...

Hahaha - Matt won.....

No, wait...

Beautiful country

 David Batt (no relation to Mike!) is better known as the artist David Sylvian. I use that description deliberately as besides being a singe...