Saturday 22 March 2008

The Dance of a thousand lights

I went to see "The Spiderwick Chronicles" this afternoon with the boys who have both read all the books.

I haven't read a word and if I'm honest I wasn't really looking forward to it...fairies, goblins and ogres not really being my thing. (Apart from, that is, when they are lyrics on Queen II).

Well boy was I impressed! It was great with a well told story revolving around an ogre (played at one point by Nick Nolte) who wants the "Spiderwick Chronicle" of the title so he can rule the world. Between him and total world domination are three children (and their Mother - Mary-Louise Parker - towards the end of the film). It was well acted, with a director who seemed to know how to build to a
story using pace and suspense in equal measure. While I'm told that there were parts of the books omitted, the story had no holes in it and at 96 minutes was just the right length. It would have been quite easy I'm sure to have added in extra scene's but any longer would have spoiled the overall effect.

The ending was all you could have wanted and I had a tear in my eye.

Sometimes being a Dad has unexpected bonuses.

No comments:

Beautiful country

 David Batt (no relation to Mike!) is better known as the artist David Sylvian. I use that description deliberately as besides being a singe...