Saturday 14 March 2009

Born in the 50’s









If you drew a Venn diagram of two groups comprising "People born in the 50's" and "People who have not had their 50th birthday" the overlap would be very small, but I, as I write this, would still be in it!

After Monday however I will only be in the first category.

But thanks to the excellent "Word" magazine I can tell you that I'm not alone in reaching this milestone this year. The following are also 50 during 2009:-

  • Simon Cowell – slightly wealthier than me!
  • Hugh Laurie – I'm the same age as Bertie Wooster
  • Morrissey – So I can play "Heaven knows I'm miserable now" and connect to the man singing it.
  • Morten Harket – well let's face it he's not old is he...and I'm the same age as him!
  • John McEnroe – hmmm thought he was older than that!
  • Susanna Hoffs (lead singer of the Bangles) – I've taken the day off so it won't be a "Manic Monday"! Ta-da!
  • Sheena Easton – female version of Morten above.
  • Ben Elton – no longer "alternative" then.
  • And finally....the Mini and Barbie - I've only owned one of them.

So I'm in good company and actually not old at all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mini is just great if you don't drive it into the back of the car in front of you.
I'm your Barbie Girl !

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great birthday. Great to see you at the pub last night. Under no circumstances connect with morose Morrisey. Stick to Sheena and Susanna. When did you own a mini-skirt?

Anonymous said...

Venn diagram? You and Dave should have entered that Quiz last night!! Great idea but I dont think any of that mix of the great (Sheena) and the gross (they know who they are) are (WERE) 50 in 1959!!!! Perhaps 2009 .... and perhaps let Dave do the quiz on his own. Maths is the first thing that goes at 50!!!

Beautiful country

 David Batt (no relation to Mike!) is better known as the artist David Sylvian. I use that description deliberately as besides being a singe...