Sunday 12 October 2008

A day in the life

Today, Sunday October 12th has been an odd one. Full of ups and downs.

It started with a missed radio programme, but more of that later.....

This morning Will, my Mum and I (Matt was away with the BB in Torquay) went to church in Shirley in Southampton, to take part in the St James Road Methodist Church's 80th Anniversary celebrations. I went to that Church for most of my childhood until I moved to Jersey when I was 20, so much of my faith and "growing up" memories have that church as a backdrop.

Going back is always poignant and today even more so, but again more of that later! It was great to see everyone and especially to see two friends Rosemary and Mark who had been very good friends when I was a teenager, but who I had lost touch with since. E-mail addresses have been exchanged and it will be good to keep in regular touch.


The service itself was very good. with one of my favourite preachers, Rev Tom Stuckey, delivering an excellent sermon. The choir sang a very uplifting anthem and the organist, David Woodman, played one of my favourite pieces as we left the church.

After that there was a lunch (three course) for 200 which was great fun and again stories and memories were readily swapped.

The only concern I have is that many of the church regulars who were there when I was are still there and when they aren't there, who will be? As Will said to me "there's a lot of grey hair here today"

After that we went to Southampton General hospital so see my Dad, who is quite seriously ill at present. He has leukemia and while it has been treatable, over the last two weeks it has got worse, to the point where he has been in hospital now for nearly two weeks. He has had chemotherapy, which seems to have worked, but his blood is generally "in a bad place" and on top of that, as can happen, constant bed rest has brought on a dose of pneumonia. Last Thursday I was seriously concerned that, this was it, but he has rallied and now while still unable to walk has been sitting out of bed and is more like his old self. He tires easily and 90 minutes is as long a visit as he can cope with. We're not out of the woods yet but "Dad" is on an up at present.

He should, of course, have been at Church this morning, so it was sad knowing that he would have loved it and he was missing out. He was remembered in the prayers and we turned up to visit this afternoon full of messages of love and support.

This evening while dropping Will back at his Mum's I saw my friends Steve & Luanne who are over on a visit from Newport, Kentucky and plans were made to hook up later this week to "chew the fat" together. They are good friends and seeing them ended the day on a high.

The radio programme I missed was "The Tim Daykin Show" on BBC Radio Solent, which featured this morning, the 1st Chandlers Ford BB brass band featuring my son Matt on Drums! It's on at 6am, so it's not a surprise I missed it. As I write this blog, I am listening to it on the BBC "catch up" service via my lap-top. The star performers are on at 1 hour 46 minutes into the programme!

No comments:

Beautiful country

 David Batt (no relation to Mike!) is better known as the artist David Sylvian. I use that description deliberately as besides being a singe...