Saturday 2 August 2008

Dreaming

Last night I went to St Mary's and watched Saints draw 2-2 with West Ham in our penultimate pre-season friendly. There that's the facts out of the way.

What I saw was, however, a team playing free-flowing, passing football in a manner that I had hoped our new coaching team would produce. As a Saints fan, though, I'm ready to be disappointed but this time my hopes may be fulfilled.

This season we will put our faith in youth and last night that faith seemed well placed. Nine of the team were under 23 and we had pace, desire to win the ball and frankly many of last seasons "regulars" will struggle to get in the team. Morgan Schneiderlin looked a really classy midfield player and together with Adam Gillett, kept three Premiership midfield players chasing shadows for most of the first half.

Lee Holmes on the left wing looked good too and Lloyd James at right back looked the matching pair for Gareth Bale. His cross for the first Saints goal was inch perfect and how we didn't use him last season is beyond me. He can't have got that good during pre-season!

Now I thought that it was just me but tonight's Echo has lots of comments which reflect all I have said.

Maybe just maybe we are at the start of a season that will reaffirm lots of fans belief in the mighty Saints.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think the key word there is "maybe"

Anonymous said...

i went to include me.
Will

Beautiful country

 David Batt (no relation to Mike!) is better known as the artist David Sylvian. I use that description deliberately as besides being a singe...