Wednesday 17 December 2008

Licence to ill

Through the power of the Internet you can now watch the BBC live on your PC, laptop or (if you've got the right one) your phone.

Now that got me thinking about the licence fee and what it covers and more importantly how they can now police it?

If I'm sat at home watching TV then I should have a licence and i guess if I'm watching at home on my laptop then equally I should have a licence. But what if I'm in McDonalds (using their free wifi) & watching on my laptop, or on the bus watching on my phone, how do the licencing authority know whether I've got a licence or if so whose name it is in? Equally at present each house hold needs to have one, but can an 18 year old son use his parents licence, when he's at the other end of the country, say at a football game?

I'm a huge fan of the BBC and don't want it funded in any other way, but the way we watch the BBC is only going change further and get less TV focused and more multi-platform. Is the licence flexible enough to keep up?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

more blogs and pictures of me please. Stealing pictures off this is my only way of finding them for facebook. Will.

Anonymous said...

I'm on my Dad's free OAP license when I d/l BBC shows from over here, OK?

Beautiful country

 David Batt (no relation to Mike!) is better known as the artist David Sylvian. I use that description deliberately as besides being a singe...